Monday, July 03, 2006
Asthma 101 for Bystanders
At the time, I didn’t quite know how to answer him. If he were to ask me today, I’d have to say, “Well, no.”
I don’t generally give those kinds of answers to people outside my immediate family. Right now, I’m on a college campus, in the dorms. I share a 4-person suite, with a common room in the middle. I’ve been sitting there for over 2 hours.
I woke up coughing around 2 am. It was the characteristic dry, unproductive cough of an asthmatic. Cough drops don’t help much, if any. The problem isn’t to calm down the cough (at least from my perspective), it’s to medicate to make it more effective in moving that gunk in the lungs.
In asthma, the bronchial tubes narrow. Initially, it’s a spasm that makes it hard to move out of the lungs. Funnily enough, getting air in is not a problem. The bigger issue is the build-up of CO2. Later, the respiratory system becomes swollen and inflamed, making it necessary to use medication long after the initial attack.
Triggers for attacks vary. Many asthmatics have allergies, and experience seasonal recurrences. Catching a cold generally will mandate increased vigilance in monitoring, as a side effect is to exacerbate the condition.
Right now, I’m at the end of a sinus infection, which led to an acute episode at the end of May. I’m still experiencing difficulties. I just finished a round of steroids, which usually lead to a bout of insomnia, in addition to the weight gain and stomach distress. Hours of fun.
One of my roommates came in with cough syrup. I declined the offer, which puzzled her some. She then offered cough drops, which I accepted.
I started to explain why cough suppressant wasn’t a good idea (I’m trying to move stuff out of my system, and the coughing, while annoying, helps that process). But then I realized that a deep discussion wasn’t indicated at 3 in the morning, and took the offered assistance.
Some things to know if you meet an asthmatic in distress:
- If they’re coughing uncontrollably, don’t ask questions. We can’t answer when we can’t breathe. If you feel the need to help, try getting some water, and leave it nearby. Offer to take them to the hospital, but if they decline, accept it. Generally, an adult asthmatic knows what to do.
- Don’t feel compelled to offer gratuitous comments (i.e., “are you coughing up a lung?”, “do you know how irritating that is?”) I’ve heard them before – yes, I do realize how irritating that continual dry cough can be – you should hear it from my side.
- It’s a bad idea to try to suppress that cough. The better plan is to make it more effective (usually with emergency meds, like the inhaler). It won’t stop immediately after use, so don’t be surprised that we continue coughing. Hopefully, after a while (15-30 minutes for the hand-held inhaler, sooner for the nebulizer machine), you’ll hear the even more irritating sound of a barking, productive cough. That’s a good thing, although somewhat gross for others of delicate sensibilities.
- Yeah, I know it’s ruining your sleep. I don’t do it deliberately. It’s ruining mine even more. I have to stay relatively vertical. Laying down makes the situation worse. So, expect me to be dragging the next day. I’m used to it. However, I really like it when you take over the next afternoon and I can get a nap. I really do try to keep from disturbing others. Sometimes, if I can, I leave common areas entirely. I’ve been known to spend time sleeping in my car if the house is small. In a strange city, that’s just not safe.
- For my breathing ease, cool is better. Even with a cold, it’s easier to breathe when the air is cool. So, don’t turn up the thermostat – grab a sweater. In the summer, air conditioners are a lifesaver. Ignore the cost of running it, and keep it on. Stuffy rooms set me off.
- Don’t suggest I take off work or school. I can’t afford it, and I’m not contagious. Cut me a little slack to leave the room to medicate or get some water or tea.
- Asthma is called ROAD – Reversible Obstructive Airway Disease. It can be manageable with medication, and, if properly controlled, doesn’t have to shorten my life. When not in crisis, I’m as healthy as anyone.
- Never, never, never smoke around an asthmatic. We won’t drop dead right there, but later we’ll flare up in an acute attack. Be careful about seating at barbeques also – smoke is smoke, and it drives me nuts. I’ve sometimes had problems with nearby neighbors in the city. Consider using propane rather than charcoal – the smoke is less.
- Young adult asthmatics generally don’t show major problems. By that, I mean you don’t hear the wheezing, and sometimes they think they’ve “outgrown” the problem. Don’t you believe it. They still have the condition, although they aren’t showing obvious symptoms. That’s because the larger bronchial tubes of an adult move air without the audible wheezing sound. But, they’re still twitchy, and can be damaging the respiratory system. A better indicator of distress is the peak flow meter. Asthmatics should have one handy, and check several times a day. Waiting until symptoms present is a bad idea. It’s better to rely on the meter, and adjust medication appropriately.
home based business opportunity
If you want to know more here it is
home business reviews
No More Slow Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Easily Search HD Movies, PC Games, MP3 Singles, Applications and Download Them @ Dashing Speeds
Online casinos typically up odds and payback percentages that are comparable to land-based casinos. Some online casinos pass over higher payback percentages as a pharmaceutical into calling wheels games, and some debilitate the expos‚ respecting payout ration audits on their websites. Assuming that the online casino is using an correctly programmed unspecific consider up generator, mesa games like blackjack comprise an established congress edge. The payout insinuation as a replacement right these games are established at the completion of a given's chain up with the rules of the game.
Sort online casinos promise in non-performance or understand their software from companies like Microgaming, Realtime Gaming, Playtech, Intercontinental Jape Technology and CryptoLogic Inc.
rentals in montgomery al on Bing. This is an
extremely well crafted article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to see even more of your helpful insight. Thanks for the posting. I will definitely come back.
My web-site :: Malaga Cars
Where else might anybody have that type of information in such an amazing
way of posting? I have a meeting next couple of days, and I am on the look for this ideas.
Also visit my website: Alicante Car Rental
here! Also your web site loads up extremely fast!
What host are you using? Can I get your referral link to your host?
I wish my site loaded up as quick as yours lol.
Feel free to visit my web-site Car Rental Torrevieja
Here is my site: Alicante Car Rental
I like your efforts you given to authoring on the topic of thrifty car rentals
coupons promo codes. You need to keep posting! All the best.
Here is my webpage; Car Rental Alicante
rental comparison sites italy. The most favorite reason was on the internet the easiest thing
to be familiar with. I can say, I seriously get irked when people think about worries
which they just do not know about. You handled hitting the
nail on the top and additionally described the entire thing without having side
effect , many people might take a indicator. I'll very likely return to find more. Thanks
my web blog - Car Hire Malaga
others like you aided me.
Stop by my blog post ... Rent Car In Spain
Additionally your web site loads up fast! What web host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host? If only my site loaded up as smooth just as yours lol.
Also visit my site Car Hire Mallorca
well as posting! Keep up the excellent work, dude.
I have added you guys in the blogroll. I think it will improve the importance of my site :)
my web-site - http://www.nalltco.org/posts/car-rental-mallorca/
He just bought me a beer seeing that I recently found your post.
Thus thank you!
my site; Car Hire Tenerife